I found this seemingly yummy looking recipe on Pinterest which then brought me to this inspiring blog, Ambitiouskitchen.com. I follow ambitious kitchen on Instagram, too, and her posts never cease to make me drool.
Anyways, this garbanzo bean burger recipe was one that will be repeated many times in this house. The burgers were so flavorful and filling yet still light and healthy.
Here is the recipe, thanks to Ambitious Kitchen!
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves garlic
- 8 large basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, if you like a tiny bit of heat
- 1/8 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup diced red onion (I used white and didn't notice a difference)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs, plus more if needed (I made my own oat flour and used that instead!)
- Optional: 1/4 cup diced bell pepper or shredded carrot (I did not use either but will definitely try next time)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, for cooking the burgers
- Toppings: Sliced Avocado, spinach, sliced tomato, red onion
- Whole grain or gluten free buns or lettuce wraps
- In the bowl of a food processor, add in chickpeas, garlic, basil, lemon juice, cumin, cayenne pepper, tumeric and salt and pepper and process until coarsely chopped but not completely liquid-like. Transfer to bowl and fold in egg, onion and breadcrumbs. You can also add in 1/2 cup of diced bell pepper or shredded carrots if you'd like. Mold into four patties, add more breadcrumb if the patties are too wet. I found that 1/2 cup was perfect for me, but it may be different for you.
- Place patties on a baking sheet lined with wax paper, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Next make your pesto by adding all of the pesto ingredients besides the water to the bowl of a food processor. Process a few times the slowly add in water until pesto reaches a thick but spreadable consistency. Transfer to a container and refrigerate for optimal storage.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add patties and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve on a bun or in a lettuce wrap and add two tablespoons of pesto on top. Makes 4 patties.
I doubled this recipe and next time I make it, I'll triple it. Yes, the 8 burgers were devoured up that quickly in my house.
Have fun baking :).